Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Meet Ally Shields


It's my pleasure to continue to bring authors to the spotlight here at My Story~My Way.

Today  we meet Ally Shields and Saturday read an excerpt from her latest novel,
Fire Within, Guardian Witch Series.

Ally's writing cave.
Ally was born and raised in the Midwest, along the Mississippi River, the setting for her urban fantasy series. After  a career in law and juvenile justice, she turned to full-time writing in 2009, and Awakening the Fire, the debut novel in her Guardian Witch series, was released in September 2012.  Ally still lives close to the Mighty Mississippi with her Miniature Pinscher, Ranger. When not writing or reading, she loves to travel in the US and abroad. Way too often she can be found on Twitter.

Please welcome Ally Shields.


LA: Hi Ally, welcome to My Story~My Way. Tell us about your current series.
AS: I write the Guardian Witch urban fantasy series published by a small indie,  Etopia Press.

Arianna Calin is a kickass cop trained in weaponry and martial arts, but she's also a witch with the ability to call fire and to shoot it from her fingertips. On cases involving both humans and Otherworlders, she partners with a human cop, Ryan Foster. Andreas, a sexy vampire singer, joins their investigation in book one and is a recurring character. Ari is alarmed by the weird mystical bond she and Andreas seem to share. And of course there are evil doers...everywhere.

LA: What’s next for you?
AS: Book 3 in the series, Burning Both Ends, releases in July, and there should be at least four more books after that. Number four is already written, and I'm wrestling with number five. Ari is not being very cooperative in writing this one!

LA: I can understand stubborn characters, I have one myself now! How much time do you spend promoting your books?
AS: Way too much. It takes at least an hour or two a day, sometimes more.

LA: What works best for you?
AS: I split my efforts between my blog, twitter, facebook and Goodreads, but the majority of the time goes to the blog and twitter.

LA: Do you use a pen name? If so, how did you come up with it?
AS: My pen name is my mother's maiden name. She didn't live to see my books published, but she would have been so excited. Besides, it sounded like a good name for a fantasy writer, and I don't have any trouble remembering it! :)

LA: What is your writing routine like?
AS: Lol. What routine? I have an office--a writer's cave--where I do 99 percent of my writing, but times vary widely. I tend to be a night owl, so some of my best writing might happen in the middle of the night. I write every day, seven days a week, even on vacation, if I can. It's what I do.

LA: Having achieved your goal to be a published author, what is the most rewarding thing?
AS: Ah, an easy question. Hearing from happy readers. There's absolutely nothing like it!

LA: Which aspect of writing do you love the best, and which do you hate the most?
AS: First draft is the most fun. I am pretty much a pantser (as in 'seat of') and I experience the story as it unfolds on the page. My characters surprise me a lot, and I sometimes laugh at the things Ari says! The part I finds most tedious is the final proofing. By that point, I'm already sick of the story from all the rewrites and editing.

LA: What do you do when you find yourself overwhelmed with all the stuff that goes along with writing and publishing?
AS: Chocolate is good. So is Baileys and coffee. :) Going for a walk outdoors is an excellent alternative that is neither fattening nor alcoholic! My dog Ranger and I might also take the ball out in the back yard. Anything works that gets me out of my office and allows time for my head to clear.

LA: If you could meet anyone, living or dead, who would it be, and what would you talk about?
SA: Barbara Mertz who writes the Amelia Peabody series under the pen name of Elizabeth Peters. I'd love to talk with her about Egypt. Her series takes place there, and she is an Egyptologist. I've been to Egypt three times, fell in love with the place, and would go back again if the political situation would cool. It's one of my favorite places in the world.

LA:
Tell us something about yourself we might not expect! 
SA: I've hiked the Grand Canyon and rode a horse across the Navajo reservation to visit ancient Anasazi Indian ruins.
 
 
Blurb for Fire Within, Guardian Witch Series ~ Book Two
 
A hidden evil stalks the city…
  
Ari Calin refuses to believe her human friend Eddie murdered a vampire—in spite of his confession. Her human partner Ryan thinks the case is a slam dunk, even though there’s no weapon and no witnesses, but Ari’s not about to let her friend take the rap without finding out more.
  
 When Ari attends a charity event on the arm of a handsome werewolf, she finds someone she never expected to see again—Andreas De Luca, the charismatic vampire she used to date. When their eyes meet across the room, memories come rushing back. His kiss, his touch, a savage death…and a terrifying magical bond. A reconnection is the last thing she wants. Only by staying away and forgetting Andreas can she hope to avoid the Legend of Ramora.

But when vampires keep dying, one thing becomes clear: Riverdale has a serial killer on its hands, and Andreas could be next. Ari begins to fear there’s more to it, though. Something truly evil is stalking the city, waiting to take control…
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment