Monday, October 31, 2016

Take Five and Meet Author Mitzi Flyte


Happy Halloween. I'm so pleased to introduce Mitzi Flyte. 
Check out where her author picture was taken. Very cool.  
But first, read on so you know a bit more about Mitzi, she's fascinating.


Welcome to An Indie Adventure, Mitzi Flyte.  Tell us, what inspired you to write your book The Guardian’s Prophecy.

Thanks for having me as a guest on your blog, L.A., I’ve been looking forward to this.
I wrote The Guardian’s Prophecy to attempt to dispel some myths about wolves. And if there were false myths about wolves, then the myths about werewolves would have to change.

I found some Celtic folktales that talked about werewolves as guardians, especially for travelers. I’d read about St. Brendan’s voyage. I’d also read about some odd ancient Celtic type inscriptions on the east coast. I just put that together with Kate being a scientist studying the effects of climate change on mammals.

Have you been a lifelong reader of paranormal romance  What are some the first books you remember reading?

Ah, there you have me. I’m 69 years old and I’ve been a life-long reader of everything and anything. When I started reading what we call “chapter books” today, I read Poe (of course), Ellery Queen, Mary Roberts Rineheart, Agatha Christie, anything. I started going to the library when I was 8; it was one of two air-conditioned places in our small town. By 12 I was delving into the adult section and the librarians would raise eyebrows but would still give me the books. By then I was into Phyllis Whitney and Nora Lofts, gothic romances. By the time the genre “paranormal romance” was labeled, I’d gravitated to that, too.

What do you do to rev your creative juices?

Actually, I meditate almost daily and if I’ve come to a stumbling block in a story, I go to sleep thinking about it. Usually by the time I wake up I have an idea of where to go…or not go.

To you what makes a great romance hero or heroine?

Heroine: I do like a “kick-ass” heroine who can fight her own battles. I’m writing a paranormal mystery series about a middle-aged widow who has to do that…and has no idea how to do. It will be the Elizabeth Peacock and… mysteries. But, I have to add that my heroines need a soft side and need to know when and how to use that softer side. Sometimes the “when and how” become part of the conflict.

Hero: You know, I hate to say this (maybe you’ll get comments…but that’s cool) but I’m getting tired of the naked 6-pack abs on book covers. Just as women are not all curvy with long, flowing hair, not all heroes are chiseled sculptures.

I would love to see and read more romances with “real” people…but maybe that’s my age showing.

You’re having a dinner party.  What character from your novel do you hope doesn’t show up?     Why?

I would love to have Yeote, my villain (air quotes here). What a fascinating man he was. I had no idea that I was going to have a villain follow his love through centuries but all of a sudden Yeote stood before me, his hands on hips, looking at me with his dark stare. “Write my story!” I couldn’t NOT write him.

And then there’s Jackson Devlin, based on all the TV “reality adventure show” frontmen. I’ve been toying with the idea of continuing the story, with Jackson as the anti-hero in the sequel.

I would love to see any of my characters, even the “mob” guy. I love hearing more about their motivation. And I would love them all interacting together over pasta and wine.



Give us a brief summary of The Guardian’s Prophecy:
The Guardian’s Prophecy combines Celtic mythology and Native American beliefs with the problems of climate change. The heroine is a zoologist who has established a wolf preserve and who studies how changes in the climate affects mammals. Unfortunately murders by a possible large wolf-like mammal have started in the town near the preserve and she receives a Cease and Desist order for her preserve. A new professor appears on the scene and even rents a cabin on the preserve’s land. He’s supposedly writing a book on Native American beliefs, but Kate, although attracted to him, begins to believe he may be part of the murders.

Buy:

In the picture, I'm on South Cadbury Castle, thought to be Camelot.
Bio:
Mitzi Flyte began writing when she was twelve and that year her first short story was rejected by Family Circle magazine. Yep, it was so long ago that Family Circle was publishing short stories. Through nursing school, working as an RN, marriage, having her wonderful daughter, and divorce, Mitzi continued to write. She’s been published in short story anthologies, nonfiction, and poetry. She married the love of her life (also a writer) at 64 (love has no age limit). She now lives in southeastern PA, in an old stone house (she’s looking for the ghosts) full of antiques in the middle of corn and soy bean fields (she’s also looking for Bigfoot) with her love, her daughter, a dopey dog and various cats.

Find Mitzi:






No comments:

Post a Comment