Wednesday, March 6, 2019

Take Five With Author J.A. Kazimer

banner for the blog post

Welcome to An Indie Adventure, J.A. Kazimer. Tell us, what inspired you to write your book CUFFED: A Detective Goldie Locks Mystery?

I adore the Goldilocks and the Three Bears tale for so many reasons. Mainly it’s so true to my own experiences.

Think of it, a girl breaks into your house, takes mouthfuls of your porridge (spitting it out), sits in your chair, and then falls asleep in your bed, all the while whining about it.

Does that sound like an in-law to you? It surely does to me.

Which made me wonder what would happen if Goldie Locks (though a less annoying version) rather than running off when the Bears came home, was actually adopted by them, and in turn grows up to be a cop in a fairytale version of New York City. 

How do you construct your characters?

Since I’m working with fairytale and/or nursery rhyme characters, constructing them is both easier and more difficult. It’s easier since I don’t have to worry overmuch about setting up the ‘who’ or ‘how they look’. People know Goldie Locks has blond hair (at least under all her mousey-brown #42 hair dye). That she’s inquisitive (perfect for a detective). And also a bit of a troublemaker (which makes any character much more fun).

As for those things making constructing my characters more difficult comes in the fact I have to keep true(ish) to the fairytale. Everything my characters say or do, a reader might have a conflicting expectation because of what they ‘know’ of the fairytale.

How is your main character completely different than you?

Not completely, in that, I have a forensic background and spent time working as an investigator, albeit a private one. As for her personality, we both share a by-the-book façade when in truth we’d rather be breaking all the rules. There is also our shared love of bad boys. Okay, fine. We are too much alike for my comfort. Good thing I’m not looking to trespass anytime soon.

Tell us something about yourself we might not expect!

I mentioned it above, but I worked as a private investigator for about 4 years. In that time, I tracked down deadbeats, cheaters, gamblers, and a celebrity or two. Fun times.

You’re having a dinner party.  What character from your novel do you hope doesn’t show up?     Why?

This one’s pretty easy to answer. Goldie Locks should avoid any dinner party I’m hosting. Mostly because I’m a terrible cook, and she’d complain about my spice level, food temperature, and how I only have two chairs, both fairly uncomfortable, at my counter rather than a table.

That and the dog hair everywhere. How can my dogs shed so much? Two of them weigh less than 20 pounds. 

When you’re brainstorming for a new story, what usually comes first for you, the plot or the characters?

Characters always come first. I am a true pantser. Meaning I start a story at sentence one, and start writing with no outline or really, any idea where the book or my life are going. I don’t advise this method. Oddly enough, which honestly I’m shocked about, the plot always works out. Red herrings in place. Bad guys caught. Heroine and hero living happily ever after.

Give us a brief summary of CUFFED: A Detective Goldie Locks Mystery:

Detective Goldie Locks isn’t looking for just the right bed. Or any bed for that matter. 

She’s on the hunt for a killer. 

When she discovers the fingerprints of a once-upon-a-time lover, a man who jumped over a candlestick and out a window to leave her facing some serious trespassing trouble alone, at a crime scene, she vows to see him in handcuffs. 

Jack B. Nimble has other ideas. 

He threatens her adoptive family if Goldie doesn’t help him clear his villainous name, much to the chagrin of her current boyfriend and quite possibly the next mayor, Beau White, the fairest man in all the land. 

Trying to prove his innocence turns out to be harder than she expected, especially when Jack refuses to aid in his defense, and instead, starts a campaign to ‘win’ her back. Goldie might be a blond, but she’s far from dumb enough to fall for his charms a second time. 

Or so she tells herself every time his lips meet hers.

The deeper she plows into the rabbit hole and Jack’s soul, the more she learns about his motives for returning to the city—Destroying her perfectly crafted life.

Buy:

Bio:
J.A. Kazimer lives in Denver, CO. When she isn't looking for a place to hide the bodies, she devotes her time to playing with her pups. Other hobbies include murdering houseplants. 

She spent a few years stalking people while working as a private investigator before transitioning to the moniker of Writer and penning over 15 titles. 

Visit her website at jakazimer.com and sign up for her THIS LITTLE PIGGY WENT TO MURDER Newsletter.

Social Media Links: 



2 comments:

  1. Welcome to the blog, J.A., you have a fascinating story concept here. Can't wait to read it.
    Hugs, L.A.

    ReplyDelete