Wednesday, April 10, 2019

Take Five With Author Vicki Batman


Banner for Take 5 And Meet An Author

Welcome to An Indie Adventure, Vicki Batman.  Tell us, what inspired you to write your book Just Desserts…and other stories.

Thanks for hosting me L.A.

I love these romantic comedy stories and had to pull together this collection. There’s funny things like bugs, and a man’s theory on love, sticky gum, etc. I’d written them for a popular magazine, and although I received good feedback on many, they did not acquire them. The magazine gets many, many subs every week.

Have you been a lifelong reader of mysteries?  What are some of the first books you remember reading?

I cut my teeth with the Bobbsey Twins, Nancy Drew, and Trixie Belden mysteries, reading them over and over desperately wanting to be them. *Very big sigh* I remember loving Harold and the Purple Crayon when I was a kid because the crayon took him on cool adventures. Lots of Beverley Cleary books, too.

If you were not a writer, what vocation would you pursue?

Handbag buyer. I LOVE handbags and blog about them with other friends and writers every Monday. I have lots of vintage, needlepoint, and new ones as well as special ones Handsome gives me for my birthday and Christmas. I haven’t exactly counted; however, there’s about eight full shelves.
Do you prefer to read in the same genre you write in, or do you avoid reading that genre?  Why?
I’ve always read mysteries, and at age fourteen, my mom introduced me to Emilie Loring romances. I still read these genres. I have a soft touch for mysteries with humor, something I incorporate into my work.
When you’re brainstorming for a new story, what usually comes first for you, the plot or the characters?

I will see or hear something and my heat goes *boom*! All of the sudden, I scribble things like a madwoman and keep on and keep on. Being a pantser, the writing process takes me longer to edit; however, I love the spontaneity I get when I’m inspired this way.

If you were a TV, film or book character, apart from one you've created, who would you be?  And why?

I love Stephanie Plum and her crazy antics. I also love Mrs. Maisel because of her fabulous costumes and because, helloooo, handbags!

Give us a brief summary of Just Desserts…and other stories: Love blossoms in the small town of Sommerville in these heartwarming, “cute meet” tales, filled with fun and forever possibilities.

Book Cover for Just Desserts and Other Stories
Buy:








Author Image for Vicki Batman
Bio: 
Vicki Batman, has sold many romantic comedy works to magazines, several publishers, and most recently, two humorous romantic mysteries. Along the way, she has garnered awards and bestsellers. 

She is a member of Romance Writers of America, Sisters in Crime, and several writing groups. An avid Jazzerciser. Handbag lover. Mahjong player. Yoga practitioner. Movie fan. Book devourer. Cat fancier. Best Mom ever. And adores Handsome Hubby. Most days begin with her hands set to the keyboard and thinking "What if??"

Find Vicki:
Website | Facebook: Facebook | Twitter | Pinterest  | Author Central | Goodreads | Instagram   

Banner Denoting End Of Blog, Amazon Advertising next



9 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for having me today, Leslie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Vickie, it’s a joy to have you. I never read Harold and the Purple Crayon, I’ll have to look it up and see what I missed as a voracious reading kid.
    Hugs, L.A.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's wonderful to learn more about you Vicki! I loved Harold and the Purple Crayon! Such a great book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Melissa! And congratulations on your children's book!

      Delete
  4. This was a fun interview to read. Great job Vicki and Leslie. Good luck and keep the humor. We all need more of that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Sandra! I'm so glad you liked the interview. Having fun even when some days are tough is so important. Hugs!

      Delete
  5. Hi, I'm late to the blog, but enjoyed the blog. You have lots and lots of handbags. Do you ever purge?
    Mary (M.E.Bakos)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Mary! I do purge. Some get pretty worn out and have to let them go, like a red flowered print Margaret Smith. That was hard. Some have hardware issues or my needs have changed. Where some girls keep shoes, I keep handbags. LOL

      Delete
  6. Great interview, and I love that you're a handbag connoisseur

    ReplyDelete