Wednesday, October 23, 2019

Guest Post by Marilyn Leach ~ The Draw of Writing British Cozy Mysteries



Though I grew up in the Western United States, I became a dyed-in-the-wool British enthusiast after exploring the UK and making friends there.  My travels throughout England color me and my written works.  My most recent works include the Berdie Elliott Mysteries, a series of English whodunits that tickle the brain and add a giggle or two.

If I can't live in England, then living lakeside on the Front Range of Colorado is the next best thing. 

Lindsfarne Castle
The North of England grabbed me by the throat and won my heart the moment I stepped onto its soil.  I knew this untamed part of England, Northumbria, near the Scottish borders, was abundant fuel for stories.
 
When first I saw Lindesfarne Castle loom over the landscape of tiny Holy Island, the wind blew the rush of modern life from my soul, and the history of the place settled in like a warm cup of tea on a blustery day.  My story would be a mystery set in current day but with roots reaching back into history.

Whitby Abby inspired Criswell Abby 
All Hallows Dead: A Berdie Elliott Saints Day Mystery is the fruit of that idea.  Berdie and husband Hugh, a vicar, are attending a church course in Northumbria when Berdie’s captivated by the mysteries of an ancient church.  Two “accidental” deaths occur in circumstances she finds questionable.  Set among the ruins of Criswell Abbey, Berdie discovers truths that will impact Criswell’s entire village, from a local pub owner to the lord of the manner.

Of course, there’s plenty of humor as Berdie and her best friend, Lillie, get into circumstances that make us chuckle, all while solving dastardly events.

Blurb:

How can a sixteenth-century saint help solve a twenty-first-century crime?

When Berdie Elliott, vicar’s wife and sleuth extraordinaire, attends a church course with her husband in the North of England, she bumps into her former newspaper boss who calls upon her to investigate beguiling circumstances that spell murder.  

From the landed Cavendish family to the local pub’s manager, Criswell Abbey and its village are steeped in a centuries-old mystery.  The legend of a departed churchman, a mysterious bell tower, England’s tangled history, a delayed marriage proposal, and a wily parrot all help Berdie to declare the truth in All Hallows Dead. 


All Hallows Dead is a perfect read for this time of year. 

All Saints Day, November 1, marks our collective memory of those devoted pilgrims that have marched on in faith before us.  During this season, a comfy chair, hot beverage, and snuggly throw are all amenities that make reading All Hallows Dead an enjoyable event.

Buy: 

Find Marilyn:


Lastingham Stairs

And now All Hallows Dead 






16 comments:

  1. Leslie, thanks for having me on your blog today. I love sharing my inspirations for writing. And I love to hear what inspires others, so leave a word or two if you like. Cheers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for being my guest. I'm currently in Florida, at a writing retreat, working on my own Cozy Mystery. Not set in England but a ski town in the mountains of Colorado. At it's set at Christmas, while the temps here are in the 80's!!!
      Hugs, L.A.

      Delete
  2. Marilyn, I love your books! You have a gift of placing the reader in the heart of England with intriguing mysteries. Special places inspire me as well. Looking forward to your next book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much. I hope you enjoy exploring an ancient church and the ruins of "Criswell Abbey" to solve the case in a small village. Cheers

      Delete
  3. Marilyn, this is Jane, having my usual difficulties with commenting. Your post is lovely, just as your writing is. Congratulations on everything you have accomplished.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for dropping by Jane. May beauty fill your day. Cheers.

      Delete
  4. I'm always fascinated by what inspires writers, so this post resonated with me. Thanks for sharing it, Marilyn.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for dropping by Amanda. Scenes of ancient buildings, churches, castles, pathways, ruins, and pathways can stir ideas for stories. Cheers

      Delete
  5. Marilyn, your lovely blog post resonates with me as an Anglophile who is married to an Englishman. My numerous trips back to his homeland provided fodder for my debut novel set in WWII.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pat Jeanne, thanks for stopping by. We anglophiles find so much inspiring material across the pond. I pray your latest book does really well. Cheers

      Delete
  6. Hi Marilyn,

    I love British whodunnits. I enjoyed your post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Barbara, thanks for dropping in. I'm thrilled you enjoyed the post. Keep up the excellent writing. Cheers

      Delete
  7. Marilyn, I've loved all your books in the Bertie series and enjoyed the behind the scenes peek into what inspired your Criswell Abby. Thanks for sharing your story with us! Donna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for coming by Donna. And I'm thrilled to know you enjoyed the reads and also the "behind the scenes" tour. Cheers

      Delete
  8. Couldn't resist...it's on my kindle!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Gretchen. I hope you really enjoy it. Don't forget the hot beverage to go with the story. :) Cheers

      Delete